Apple iOS 16.1 is available and it was much anticipated. Here’s how to install it, who it is and what’s in the update.
Make Forbes your go-to for all things iOS. Read full details of what’s in the release from me the moment it arrives. Kate O’Flaherty Take a look at the security considerations for each new release. then read Gordon KellyAnalyze whether you should install or wait.
What iPhones Can Run iOS 16.1?
The new software will run on all iPhones from iPhone 8 onwards. To be precise, this is iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone Xs, iPhone Xs Max, iPhone Xr, iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone SE 2nd generation, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPhone SE, iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Plus, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro Max. and breathe.
For iPads, you need iPadOS which for the first time is on a different release schedule than iOS. The first version is iPadOS 16.1, which was just released.
How to get it
You’ll do this before but just in case: Open the Settings app on the iPhone and then choose General, then Software Update. Once you click download and install, it will do everything for you.
What’s in the version
There is a lot to unpack here. First of all, the new iPhone software has been timed not only in tandem with the new iPad version, iPadOS 16.1, but also with the latest software for Mac, macOS Ventura. There are of course bug fixes, but there are also a lot of new things.
First, there iCloud Shared Photo Library Which means you can share photos with friends and family members easily. You and up to five other people can add, edit, or remove photos in a shared library.
live activities It is a very cool feature and it is now expanding to third party apps. This means that while you’re waiting to order a food delivery or share your next ride, your iPhone screen will update in real time on your iPhone’s lock screen — or on Dynamic Island if you have an iPhone 14 Pro or iPhone 14 Pro Max. Apps like Flighty, a great experience for tracking flights, can take advantage of this with iOS 16.1. then there clean energy charging (US only) It is designed to help you ensure that your iPhone recharges when the network is using cleaner power sources.
If you’ve always wanted to use Apple Fitness +, you can now sign up + Apple Fitness without Apple Watch. Of course, you can’t see real-time heart rate and calorie metrics directly on the screen, as you can with the Watch, but you can access all the exercise and meditation videos you can watch on your iPhone, iPad, or Apple device.
dynamic island Now integrate with Reachability, the feature that allows you to use the iPhone more easily with one hand by bringing the top half of the screen to the bottom. wallet It now allows key sharing, so those virtual keys that work for cars, hotel rooms, and more can be shared with others. issue It is a smart home connectivity standard designed to make smart home accessories work together more easily and is supported in iOS 16.1.
There was another feature planned for Wallet: apple card savings account, New savings account for Apple Card users. Although it was mentioned in the beta versions of iOS 16.1, it is missing from the latest version just released.
Bug fixes Included an issue where deleted conversations were still showing up in the conversations list in Messages. There is also a fix for CarPlay not connecting when using a VPN app and for Dynamic Island content not being available when Reachability is called.
Apple’s changelog follows:
iCloud Shared Photo Library
- Separate library to seamlessly share photos and videos with up to five other people
- Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on the start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library
- Library filters to quickly switch between viewing the shared library, personal library, or both libraries together
- Edits and Shared Permissions allow everyone to add, edit, add to favorites, comment on and delete photos
- The Share toggle on the camera lets you choose to send photos you take directly to the shared library, or enable a setting to automatically share when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth
- Live activities are available from third-party apps in Dynamic Island and on the lock screen for iPhone 14 Pro models
- Apple Fitness + is supported on iPhone even if you don’t have an Apple Watch
- Key sharing allows you to securely share your car, hotel room, and other keys in Wallet using messaging apps like Messages and WhatsApp
- Matter, the new smart home connectivity standard, is supported, allowing a variety of smart home accessories to work together across ecosystems
- Reader controls are automatically hidden when you start reading
This update also includes bug fixes for your iPhone:
- Deleted conversations may appear in the conversation list in Messages
- Dynamic Island content is not available when using Accessibility
- CarPlay may fail to connect when using a VPN app
Some features may not be available in all regions or on all Apple devices. For information about the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this site: support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
#Urge #iPhone #users #update #impressive #features