(Pocket-lint) – If you’re a new iPhone user, you may be wondering how voicemail works on your new phone. Apple calls its voicemail feature in the iPhone’s default phone app “Visual Voicemail.”
Compatible with select carriers, Visual Voicemail displays an actual visual list of your messages. You can choose what you want to play and delete it without having to listen to them all. You can also see transcribed (in some English-speaking countries), which means that your messages have been transcribed into text. If you’re interested in Visual Voicemail, including how to set it up, here’s everything you need to know.
How to set up Voicemail on iPhone
The first time a voicemail is set up
The first time you tap on voicemail in the phone app, you’ll be asked to create a password for your voicemail and record your voicemail greeting.
- Open the Phone app and tap the Voicemail tab.
- Click Setup Now.
- Create a password for the voicemail.
- Choose a greeting: default or custom
- If you choose Custom, you can register a new greeting.
How to Play and Delete Voicemails on iPhone
To play, share, or delete a voicemail message, you can simply ask Siri something like: “Turn on Maggie’s voicemail.”
You can go to Voicemail in the Phone app on your iPhone to fully manage your messages.
- Open the phone app.
- Tap the Voicemail tab, then tap Message.
- Do any of the following:
- Play the message: Press the play button.
- Share the message: Tap the Share button
- Delete the message: Tap the trash can button.
NB: Messages are saved until you or your carrier clear them. To restore a deleted message, tap Deleted Messages, tap the message, then tap Undelete.
How to See Voicemail Transcription on iPhone
Voicemail transcription is part of the Visual Voicemail feature – but is limited to iPhone 6s or later. You do not need to enable transcription. It will automatically appear in the Voicemail tab with each message.
- Open the Phone app and go to the Voicemail tab.
- Tap a voicemail to transcribe it.
- If the voicemail has not been transcribed before, you may see “Transfer Voicemail…”.
- Copies should appear soon.
- When you visit Voicemail again, the text should appear when you click on it.
- You might see some blanks if Apple can’t determine what the caller said.
How do you know if your iPhone supports Visual Voicemail
How to hear your messages if Visual Voicemail isn’t working
If, whatever the reason, Visual Voicemail isn’t working, you can still try to check your messages from your iPhone (or even another phone in the US and Canada).
- On your iPhone: Tap the Voicemail tab in the Phone app, then follow Apple’s instructions to access your messages.
- Or, from another phone in the US or Canada: Dial your number, press * or # (depending on the carrier) to bypass the salutation, then enter your voicemail password.
- If you live outside the US and Canada, check with your carrier for instructions on how to access your voicemails without the Visual Phone/Voicemail app.
How to change voicemail password on iPhone
On your iPhone, go to Settings > Phone > Change Voicemail Password, then enter a new password. This is it.
How to Change Voicemail Welcome Message on iPhone
To change the greeting at any time, open the Phone app, tap the Voicemail tab, and go to Greeting. From there, set your voicemail greeting. Simple people.
Want to know more?
paying off Apple Support Page for iPhone Voicemails for more details.
Written by Maggie Tillman.
#set #Voicemail #iPhone #Visual #Voicemail